Half Day Trauma-informed Practice for Managers
This half day professional development workshop is designed for managers in health and community services settings. Many people presenting to health and community services have experienced past and/or present trauma, are living with their impacts and utilise diverse services at higher rates than the general population. It is essential to the well-being of trauma survivors that services are informed by the ground-breaking research related to Trauma-Informed Practice.
The characteristics of trauma-informed service delivery are straightforward and simple – safety, trustworthiness, choice, collaboration and empowerment – but its philosophy and practice require buy-in from everyone. Their introduction and embedding call for attention to a range of variables with which all managers need to be conversant.
By attending this half-day professional development training, managers will have a better understanding of trauma, the need for trauma-informed services, its risk management and OH &S benefits, the steps for embedding trauma-informed practice including operationalisation of principles, workforce development and ongoing oversight of a review process.
By participating in this professional development training, participants will be able to:
- Define trauma and understand the need for trauma informed services
- Demonstrate knowledge of the impacts of trauma on mind and body
- Demonstrate knowledge of the neurobiological underpinnings of emotional and behavioural difficulties understanding them as ‘adaptive’ responses to trauma
- Demonstrate knowledge of the value, definition and principles of trauma informed practice
- Explore the steps required to embed trauma-informed practice within a service and the role of managers in doing so
- Using a trauma informed audit tool, apply the 5 principle framework for trauma-informed practice to organisations
Material presented in the training is comprehensive, and draws on the latest research presented in the Blue Knot Foundation Practice Guidelines for Treatment of Complex Trauma and Trauma Informed Care and Service Delivery www.blueknot.org.au/guidelines